PDA

View Full Version : Now this is an Iron Butt Challenge !

bala
16-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Done a few Iron Butts over the years but check this one out !!!

http://m.nwfdailynews.com/news/niceville-41764-endurance-rally.html

CB_Phil
16-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Always somethin I want to do, was gona do the mini-butt on the 125, but got the dates wrong!
Have read from experienced IBers that have done it all over the world, sayin Ireland is one of the hardest places to do it. Shite roads ect

slow poke
16-07-2011, 04:48 PM
i was reading up about the rally thats some endurance ,, before this year is out im doing the mini one ,, was goina go last wekend but my tyre is too close to call ,,have new chain and sprocket on the way and rear tyre ,, must service her aswel ,,

but that iron butt rally you'd wanna be well fit for that

dayo_dd
17-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Thats some savage mileage to do in 11 days

budoka
17-07-2011, 10:41 PM
What got me was the way that miles and time don't go hand in hand like over here. For me, a ride is 60 miles is an hour or less, on Irish roads it's often double or more, still can't get me head around that. The above mileage is all but incomprehensible to me.

bala
21-07-2011, 01:34 PM
The last one I did we where covering 90 miles approx every 1.5 hours. I'm not really fond of the iron butt because I think there is an element of danger in them as the tiredness sets in. You end up concentrating on getting through it rather than concentrating on your riding. I did it with a group and one of the guys over loaded on red bull, and Jesus he ended up been really wired and jumpy for the last couple of hours !

budoka
21-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Time in the saddle is often a matter of mind-set. I've had days where 300 miles is a chore, other days when 1000 seems like a cake-walk. Roads, weather, attitude, and the lack of or presence of idiots dictate how it goes. Red Bull may give you wings, but you shouldn't need a harp to go with them either.

Moose
19-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Aye thats the 48 state challenge, there is also the 48 extreme which includes Alaska, i think they finish usually in Sturgis??

The main IBA challenge is held every two years, points are kept secret till the first day, places are limited and there is always a waiting list. There are photorally elements involved where you have to visit certain points that can be anywhere... Its astonishing to wrap the head around but its 11,000 miles over 11 days.

Its on my list...

Hellraiser
19-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Its astonishing to wrap the head around but its 11,000 miles over 11 days.

Its on my list...

That's savage, I couldn't do it. Fair play to anyone who can do it. 10300.gif