PDA

View Full Version : Touring in India

Dean
30-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Just thought id throw this out there incase somebody is looking for a trip a little bit different to the usual euro tours.

Im recently back from a trip in India where myself and a friend did a good amount of biking all over India.Needless to say it was the best experience of my life and so i thought id put it up as a recommendation for anybody looking for adventure.

Here are the pros and cons
PROS
- Unmatched landscape and sites including good variation from location to location
- cheap flights (got mine for 420 euro return for 3 weeks)
- cheap accomodation and good food everywhere you go
- Visa is only 50 euro
- India is big and varied enough to keep anybody interested
- very friendly people

CONS
- You are limited to rental bikes of which your choice isnt great.The best and most likely choice probably being Royal enfield 350cc.The upside is that bike rental is fuck all.For example in some places an enfield will be as low as 8 euro per day depending on the time of year and place of rental.
- India is apparently one of the most dangerous places in the world to drive(and im not surprised ,theyre fucking lunatics!)
- Some road surfaces arnt great although they are still better than places like Bulgaria.
- accomodation is basic but very cheap

So although your choice of bikes is crap ,your availability of scenery and experience is off the scale as far as im concerned and im sure anybody who has been there would back me up on that one. Overall cost is ridiculously low considering where you are and what you're doing.Overall a 3 week trip including flights,accomodation ,bike rental, food etc cost about 1000 euro altogether. Needless to say i dont think ill be going back to europe any time soon.

Hellraiser
30-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Good on ya lad, cheers for that. Maybe stick up a blog and put up a few pics? thumbup.gif

Titchp
01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Good post but India.......

As you say the drivers are mad. I was folowing a "Trucker" series on TV where the truckers were driving in India....It was some watch I tell oyu. So theres not a chance inthe world of me ever riding a bike in India....but look thanks for the info....

1,000 Euro was cheap for 3 weeks.....

Dean
01-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi Titchp, that series was called ""Ice Road Truckers:Deadliest roads India"".I watched all the episodes last year ,theyre quite good actually.To be honest iv seen lots of things while there myself that would rival anything iv seen on that show in terms of madness.

India is definitely not for the faint hearted but if you have the will to do it i can guarantee it will be one of the most amazing things youll ever do.If your looking for a genuine challenge and adventure i cant imagine any better place.While there i met a few people,some who have travelled the world, and they made the same remarks about the place.The drivers and roads are so crazy youll think its one big practical joke

Ill try get some pics up sometime

Heres a typical intersection you see all over the place, actually in this one the traffic seems fairly light compared to most city street intersections there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vnA3GDvJIM