PDA

View Full Version : Montana Glacier Park Tour

budoka
18-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Wednesday August The missus and I left home and headed south towards the US Border. We stopped at a motel in Ft MacLeod (the first home of the NW Mounted Plice, fore-runner to the RCMP), historic town in Canada's western frontier and the heart of native peoples of several tribes. Thursday Morning we met up with another (previously known only from the Goldwing Forum I admin on) couple for the trip into Glacier Park and on to Kalispell MT. Weather was hot (33*c) and the skies were clear making for excellent riding. We purposely stayed away from the Going to the Sun Road as that was to be ridden with the whole group meeting up in Kalispell as part of Friday's events. Now the South Glacier road is no slouch either with plenty of undulating hills and tight curves to keep any canyon carver happy. Not knowing how Kerry and his wife 's experience level was, I kept things fairly moderate as to avoid any incidents but still had to make it interesting, so I scraped the feelers a few time (enough to get a pretty good drubbing about the shoulders from herself).

honda boi
18-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Deadly man,must of been a deadly trip,,the roads look unreal over therethumbup.gif

budoka
18-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Friday morning dawned sunny and hot again (up to 33 again in the afternoon) and our group of Goldwingers (7 bikes in all) fueled up and headed into West Glacier Park for the run over the Going To The Sun Road. Logan Pass is the summit and sits at 7800 feet ASL. The road itslef is usually very busy and the steep slopes and narrow lanes with sheer drops on the outside and jagged cliffs on the inside makes for spellbinding views and more than once gets a bit of a lump in your throat and buttlerflies in the stomach.. Nothing really dangerous but it is exciting. Tight switchbacks and hairpins abound and waterfalls cascade frequently often right up to the edge of the roadway on the inside of the cliffs.

budoka
18-08-2012, 09:50 PM
The Summit Day Lodge is open from June until the snows hit in late September or early October and during th ewinter months the highway is close as it is impassible. Google Logan Pass Conditions to see what a majr undertaking it is to clear the road for travel in the spring, it's feckin amazing how much snow builds up. The pass has a labrynth of hiking trails for the adventuresome and lots of people clib the peaks to se the views. You can see all the way into Waterton National Park in Alberta from several of them. Several of the trails were closed due to bear activity the day we were there

budoka
18-08-2012, 10:10 PM
The way down the other side is equally as breathtaking. We even got a glipmse of a bear on the edge of St Mary Lake!The Western Meet adn Greet Gang: Cliff and Pam, Eric and Vanessa (all the way from Adelaide AU!), Ray (in behind), Betty and Ron, ourselves, Leanna and Kerry. Ray, Ron and Cliff are all close friends, but none of the rest of us had ever met in person, only via the forum (just like we were with all yis over there!). Great folks. Eric and Vanessa are going right across the States to Pennsylvania to meet up with other forum members along the way. They bought Ray's former GL1500 and are leaving it behind for next year when they come back to tour the southern States and then shipping the bike home to Australia; Eric rides a GL1200 and a V45 Sabre over there. Of interest, up until a year ago, Vanessa was legally blind; she had corrective suregery and is having a real thrill at seeing the mountains and stuff...she has a degree in geology so she's into the rock formations and types.

budoka
18-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Deadly man,must of been a deadly trip,,the roads look unreal over therethumbup.gif

The roads are great. Trouble is it takes a full day's ride to get to them. We covered just under 3000km (2000miles) in total. To Give herself lots of breaks, we kept the days on the way home short on mileage (happy wife happy life and all that) and lots of breaks for scenery and photos etc. Only day it rained was Monday from Banff AB to Jasper AB, one of the most scenic roads in Canada FFS. We hadn't been up that route in over 30 years, kind of a pisser. I put the new Bridgestone Exedras to the test big time thou. Great feckin tyres, stick like glue and super quiet. Would like to get the RC51 on some of those roads. Might be hard to stay out of jail thou.

Redliner
18-08-2012, 10:42 PM
great pics and write up thats some scenery there

OGRI
19-08-2012, 02:18 AM
You make me fuckin sick..........

am sooooo jealous right now...sunny weather.....twisty tarmac.....good company...yadda yadaa...ye sound like a travel brochure...laugh.gif
Where are the torrential downpours and bike thieves we have here? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Glad ye are having a ball mate thumbup.gif

budoka
20-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Don't fret OG, we had our rain-liners on all day on Tuesday. Lots of wildlife to see but always in the pouring rain so no pics. Deer, elk and black bears at several spots right next to the road. Here's a few shots from the Banff Gondola on Monday. I last rode up this mountain on a chair lift in 1963, remember it being rather scary with just a skinny seat belt holding you in.

budoka
20-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Here's a couple of Sinclair Canyon and the Kootenay Valley enroute to Banff Sunday afternoon. Had a great run of it therre, had a couple of hot-shot Mercedes running blocker for me so it made for a a fun and quick ride.

budoka
20-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Didn't take long on Tuesday for the weather to get crappy. Here's the two places it didn't rain on the 300km run up to Jasper. Crowfoot Glacier and Bow Lake, and Sunwapta Pass just before the Icefields.

OGRI
20-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Abso-fuckin-lutely stunning scenery mate....

budoka
21-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Too bad we couldn't get any pics of the bears. they were right on the edge of the roadway munching down on the berries growing wild. Coulda spit on either one of them (wouldn't recommend that part).

jester83
21-08-2012, 06:00 PM
good stuff there mate thumbup.gif

Motivlack
22-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Great pics. Looks like Sweden but with mountains....