PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory high viz gets a foothold

carsQhere
28-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Before I start can I just make clear that this is my personal opinion, and although I am a MAG Ireland rep, these are my personal views, nothing to do with MAG.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the increased penalty points etc. announced yesterday. 3 points for using a mobile while driving. Good stuff, about time too!

However, most people seem to have missed the fact that the bill published yesterday imposes mandatory high-viz on newly qualified riders.

As it stands, learners have to wear a high viz with L Plates front and rear at all times, but once the new bill becomes law, they will also have to wear an N (Novice) high viz tabard for two years after passing their test. This is the first instance I am aware of where riders are mandated to wear high viz after they have passed a test.

The interesting thing is that this came off the back of last years penalty points review. You may remember that because the suggestion was that bikers be treated as novice drivers and subject to double points.

This bill introduces the concept of novice road users as a distinct group. So we now have learners (many restrictions), novices (must carry an N plate, disqualified at 6 penalty points instead of 12), and experienced road users (no special restrictions).

The six point cut off and mandatory high viz, once applied, will both set new precedents. If motorcycle casualties don't fall dramatically then you can expect to see mandatory high viz and "double points" used as a stick to beat motorcycling with in the not too distant future. And when that doesn't work (and there's no evidence it will) there will be bans on filtering, power restrictions and so on.

Make no mistake about this. The gloves are now off. The RSA is absolutely determined to bring motorcycle casualties into line with those of other road users and will attempt to do that by whatever means they have at their disposal. Either we smarten up fast and stop the accidents we cause ourselves or biking as we know it will be legislated out of existence by the end of this decade. There's a post on the MAG web site about this, but I'm not here to beat the MAG drum because - quite frankly - the majority of Irish riders don't give a shit about MAG or regulations or whatever and are content to bury their heads the sand or pretend it's somehow not their problem.

I've been reading over this bill, and in 23 years of biking and over ten years of lobbying this is the clearest sign I've yet seen that biking as you and I know it is coming to an end. Biking itself will endure, it always does, but the writing is on the wall now as never before. Years from now you'll look back and marvel at the freedoms you once had while sitting in traffic queues dressed head to toe in high-viz kit.

This bill sets new precedents, and only a fool would think it is going to stop there. Fact is we're an easy target because - in roughly half of all bike accidents - we are solely responsible. Of course not everyone who gets hurt on a bike has a bike license, but we all get tarred with the same brush anyway.

You can read the legislation here: http://www.dttas.ie/uploads/documents/news/Road Traffic (No2) Bill 2013.pdf

This is the bit with the answers should appear, but I don't really have any.

madman
28-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Saw that yesterday alright but it will be a hard one to enforce can,t see too many back patch prospects covering up their patches with a big fuck off high vis vest with a huge N on it it,ll be down to the descretion of the garda same as provisional drivers needin a full licence holder in the car with them only the odd bollix will try to enforce it. Leo varadkar he,s some bollix a pure waste paying that cunt for all these fuckin idiotic things he comes up with.

Chippy01
28-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Don't they have the same sort up system up North, where newly licenced car drivers (and motorcycle riders I presume) have to display an R plate?

Does the UK, or any other part of Europe have these 'laws'?

manxd7
28-06-2013, 01:43 PM
central Europe has them not, neither "L" riders, nor "N/R" riders

seanybiker
28-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Dont see anything wrong it meself.

Admin
28-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Dont see anything wrong it meself.

We would'nt as this does'nt effect us, but think about all the new riders now not bothering and sticking to the cars as thats the whole point behind this!! Car sales are down, so they have to try and get people back to buying them and what better way then to attack new riders!! Better to humiliate people and embarrass them so they give up the very idea of biking!! New riders will now see the sheer hasstle behind this mess and opt out!! Its the end of biking as we know it!!

seanybiker
28-06-2013, 05:46 PM
We would'nt as this does'nt effect us, but think about all the new riders now not bothering and sticking to the cars as thats the whole point behind this!! Car sales are down, so they have to try and get people back to buying them and what better way then to attack new riders!! Better to humiliate people and embarrass them so they give up the very idea of biking!! New riders will now see the sheer hasstle behind this mess and opt out!! Its the end of biking as we know it!!
I have 4 mates in line to get bikes, fuckers would want to hurry up, riding my bike all the time by the time they get hteir licenses they be sickened after getting uised to a gsxr 1000 and then going back to whatever they start on. one of them wants a marauder 125 to start on so I told him he is going to ruin the marauder for himself by going on my yoke. haha poor fella.

carsQhere
28-06-2013, 06:40 PM
More bad new coming on Roadworthiness testing I'm afraid. It's not a good day for biking :(

madman
28-06-2013, 06:48 PM
More bad new coming on Roadworthiness testing I'm afraid. It's not a good day for biking :(

I thought that had been thrown out the window ffs a joke it is99203.gif

carsQhere
01-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Roadworthiness thing is mental. I'll update yis tomorrow on the outcome if I can get online. This has the details in the meantime: http://www.magireland.org/2013/campaigns/rwt/roadworthiness-testing-back/

madman
06-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Just a note on the high vis vests with the N on the back of them. What do ya do if ya wanna carry a backpack it will obviously hide the N on your back.
So will there be a ban on new riders carrying a backpack as to allow other road users to see the N or is there some other option of where ya can put it?

e.g will they start selling or providing backpack covers with it on them?

pawh
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
they probably will mate, they already do regular hi-viz yokes for backpacks