PDA

View Full Version : NCT for bikes deferred until 2022

carsQhere
18-12-2013, 11:01 PM
NCT for bikes is put back until 2022. Details on MAG web site and Facebook. Full details by years end with any luck.

Admin
18-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Great news!!

Did'nt fancy removing all the after market on the bikes!! laugh.gif

1100 machine
18-12-2013, 11:03 PM
wouldnt be any harm at all, but sure it could all change at the drop of a hat too could it??

klu
18-12-2013, 11:19 PM
If they bring in an NCT for bikes I can quite honestly say it's not likely I'll ride a bike on the road in Ireland again.

The MOT over here is bad enough, having to put it through an exam once a year where it's tested by COMPETENT testers (i.e. not at an NCT/MOT center, but at a bike garage who's certified to do MOT testing).

In Ireland it will be given to the clowns in NCT centers that don't know the first thing about bikes apart from what they learn in their 5 day training session. Fuck that for a game of conkers.

carsQhere
21-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Right, just catching up on this and here's the score as far as we know right now.

- "Light" bikes, under 125cc - no test, no plans to test, but EU will look at whether they should.
- "Heavy" bikes, that's anything over 125cc, will be subject to mandatory testing from 2022 but...
...member states can exempt bikes after 2022 if they can show that casualties have fallen in the previous five years (but fall by how much is not specified).
- It's a directive, not a regulation, so member states can decide for themselves how it'll be implemented.
- Member states can decide what items will be test, how they will test, and how often any test has to be carried out.

However, just because the EU says they don't have to, it doesn't mean the Government can't bring in testing if it wants to. Lucky for us the Irish Government agrees, for now at least, that it would not be worth the expense. In short the chances of a test coming in are fairly remote, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, just that it's now very unlikely before 2022.

Just because we won this round doesn't mean that the testing industry and the Greens are going to take defeat lying down, so expect this to come back in some form or other such as more stringent emissions or noise limits. The main reason they lost is because they lied about the safety angle and we shone a light on those lies. They'll learn from that and try again, make no mistake.

Anyway, that round is over and the next one might well be the home brewed problem of mandatory high visibility clothing for riders and pillions alike. But that's for another day.

On behalf of the rest of the MAG Ireland volunteers I want to say thanks to everyone, especially the MAG Ireland members, for the support over the past three years, and we hope this result goes some way to justifying your faith in what we're aiming to achieve.

Ride safe, ride free!